They interpret the law to represent companies and citizens in civil and criminal trials. Likewise, they advise their clients in regard to inherent rights and obligations. They are also responsible for trial strategies based on the evidence and the client's needs. Usually attorneys specialize in one field such as civil, criminal and corporate law.
The practice of this profession requires a bachelor's degree from a law school and in most cases a specialization is also important when you are applying for a job position. Regarding attorney's salary, the average yearly salary is $110,590 according to the BLS data. To sum up, we recommend you to stress the following skills in your own Attorney resume to attract your employer's attention:
- Effective interpretation of complex legal documents.
- In-depth knowledge of legal codes, contracts, court procedures, etc.
- Problem-solving, communicative and leadership skills.
811 Jefferson Terrace
Washington, D.C. 20029
- Successfully conducted litigation in a variety of high-profile cases.
- Achieved favorable resolution of complex, often difficult to win cases.
- Practiced before administrative boards and arbitrators.
- Attained numerous credits in all phases of civil litigation in state and federal courts.
Barnham & Haynes, Washington, D.C.
Senior Associate, January 2003 - Present
- Represented a diverse group of clients in civil litigation matters.
- Met with clients and developed trial strategy based on clients needs and reccomendations.
- Litigated each case in full.
- Consistently achieved favorable results for clients, including two verdicts in which the settlement exceeded $2 million.
Bayne & Associates, Baltimore, MD
Associate Attorney, August 1997 - January 2003
- Member of trial team that successfully defended Norton Co. in it's $6 million coverage litigation.
- Prepared and argued motions.
- Defended depositions.
- Drafted settlement conference brief.
J.D., Yale Law School, New Haven, CT
Activities: Editor of Law Review
Coach, Yale Debate Society
B.A., History & Government, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Beikney Award for most outstanding thesis in history.
National Finalst, Expemporaneous Speaking, AFA
Member of the Bar, State of Virginia, admitted 1997
Contributor, The Western Law Review
Consultant, Equity & Legal Assistance Foundation
Member, Board of Directors, YMCA's of Greater D.C.
Member, Virginia NARL Board
Download this sample now:
More Attorney Resume Samples
Pick up one attorney resume sample and add your own information and finally do not forget to attach a cover letter to it.
620 West Alabama Street, Houston
Mayer Brown LLP, Houston, TX
Attorney (2009 - Present)
- Represented the company's clients in landmark suits against claimant companies.
- Responsible for all legal documentation of assigned companies (correspondence, reports, letters.)
Haynes and Boone, LLP, Houston, TX
Legal Assistant (2005 - 2008)
- Assisted clients on legal and non-legal advices.
- Litigated in several civil and criminal suits.
- Responsible for expanding the client database.
- Establish new relationships with government sectors.
1999 Fulbright & Jaworski, Houston, TX
Legislative Assistant (1999 - 2004)
- Presented weekly reports and summaries.
- Arranged meeting with lobbyists and state agencies.
- Responsible for legal pleadings and various legal proceedings.
South Texas College of Law, Houston, TX
Juris Doctor (1998)
University of Houston, Houston, TX
Double B.A. in History/Political Science and English, Summa Cum Laude (1995)
- Dean's List.
- President's Scholarship.
- Hystory Science Achievement prize.
Download this sample now: