City planners design and organize geographical space of urban areas in order to construct more roads and build certain structures. They coordinate with lawmakers and city officials about urban projects to create more parking areas and green areas. They also address other important zoning problems.
In regard to educational background, for this position it is necessary a bachelor's degree in environmental design or in any other related area and a master's degree in city design. On the other hand, labor market for these professionals is very promising, because according to the BLS data this labor force will increase by 19% between 2008 and 2018. This situation is due to the increasing demand of public projects (buildings, roads, bridges, parking areas, etc.)
Finally, in this section we provide you with some tips to write an outstanding City Planner resume sample, try to put them into practice:
- List your educational qualifications (bachelor's degree, master's degree.)
- Highlight your decision-making, analytical and organizational skills.
- Organize your working experience in a chronological order.
- Attach a cover letter to your resume.
721 East Beston St.
Albany, NY 12214
A position as a city planner that will effectively utilize my knowledge and experience.
2004 - Present City Planner
The City of Albany, Albany, NY - Responsible for sign amortization program. Performed zoning code and ordinance research and evaluations. Prepared telecommunications industry analyses for the Albany City Council. Developed database and Geographic Information System applications.
1997 - 2004 Assistant City Planner
The City of Centerville, Centerville, NY - Assisted the Head Planner in open space and neighborhood planning, including the 12th street Free Playing Fields and the successful opposition - on environmental grounds, and in defense of Centerville's high quality of life rating - to the Monroe Hills Industrial complex.
||Masters, Urban Design & Planning
Columbia University, New York, NY
Dissertation: "The Fall of Main Street, USA ."
||B.S., Urban Planning|
University of Texas, Austin, Texas
American Planning Association
Society of American City and Regional Planning History
International Planning History Society
Download this sample now:
More City Planner Resume Samples
Each city planner resume sample has a different design, while the first one is a concisely written document; the second one is an extended resume for experienced professionals.
250 West Huron Road, Cleveland, OH
To obtain a city planner position in a city where I can apply all my knowledge and use my extensive experience in the construction sector.
- Exceptional communication skills to coordinate with regulatory bodiessuch as lawmakers.
- In-depth knowledge of urban planning principles.
- Great analytical and technical skills.
John Carroll University, Cleveland, OH.
- Master of Science in Environmental Studies, GPA 4.0 (1999.)
Chancellor University, Cleveland, OH.
- Bachelor of Science in Urban Planning, GPA 3.59(1995.)
City Planner (2008-Present)
City of Centerville, OH
- Checked application forms for new road and building drawings.
- Worked as project manager for long-term projects that included drafting architectural plans and tracking zoning regulations.
- Coordinated complex projects with other colleges, agencies and organizations.
- Designed new plans for residential and commercial buildings.
- Respected all legal policies and procedures.
- Suggest amendments to local ordinances in order to improve the environment.
City Planner (2004-2007)
City of Oakwood, OH
- Visited and gathered information about environmental problems that affect the community and suggested practical solutions to the council.
- Responsible for initial studies and preparation of zoning planning.
- Provided professional advice to developers and builders about ordinance requirements.
- Review business licenses and all legal procedures before carrying out zoning plans.
Assistant City Planner (2000-2003)
Cuyahoga County, OH
- Wrote monthly reports to the Council board regarding zoning planning.
- Assisted senior city planners in clerical duties.
- Updated all data and daily checked Law journals to keep informed of new zoning regulations.
- Developed ways to modernize roads and shopping centers.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Database: SQL, Oracle.
Download this sample now: